Monitor the reliability status of your local hard drives to help prevent data loss due to hard drive failure. (Use this utility to perform maintenance tasks on hard drives in the system.)
Note: This is the free version of this utility and some functions are disabled. Some functions that are enabled apply only when using the stand-alone version of Active @ Hard Disk Monitor.
To use Active@ Hard Disk Monitor:
- From the Active@ Boot Disk shell, click Start > Programs > Active@ Hard Disk Monitor. The Active@ Hard Disk Monitor workspace appears.
change the settings of the utility, click Preferences. The Preferences dialog box appears. Do
Poll settings tab:
- To change the frequency for checking status of the device, make changes in the Check every fields.
- To change the frequency for checking the amount of free disk space, make changes in the Check Free Disk Space every fields.
- To show which disk to monitor, choose it from the Disk drop-down list.
- To start Active@ Hard Disk Monitor when Windows starts, select the Enable at Windows startup check box.
- In the Environment tab:
- To change how drive temperature is displayed, choose a different setting in the Show temperature in drop-down list.
- To change the appearance of the workspace, choose a different setting in the Style drop-down list.
- The Hard Disk Monitor tray icon can show three states. To change the default color for each of these states, change them in the TrayIcon color drop-down lists.
- the Poll settings tab:
- From the Local System Disks list, click a device to select it. Information about the selected device appears in the right panel.
- To display attributes about the device, click the Disk Info tab. Attributes appear in the panel.
- To display SMART attributes, click the SMART Info tab. Performance and health attributes appear in the panel.
- To scan the
selected device to detect bad blocks, click the
Disk tab and do the following:
- To change the block size, in the Check Block Size area, choose a different size.
- To specify a start sector and a stop sector for the scan, type the sector numbers in the From sector and To sector fields.
- Click Start Scan. The progress bar indicates progress of the scan.
- To stop the scan at any time, click Stop Scan.
- After the scan is complete, the Scan Disk Complete message box appears with details of the scan.
- To view a list of events run in the session, click Event Log. A list of events appears in the panel.
Note: For more detailed instructions and support, see the Active@ Disk Monitor User Guide.